I always seem to forget about how great sunrises are until around this time of year (hunting season). This is mainly because I'm usually never up for them unless I'm out fishing or in a hunting blind somewhere. Sunsets seem to get all the attention, but the real deal is watching the world wake up around you.
I experienced five great Canadian sunrises this past week during my annual trip to Manitoba for duck and goose hunting with my Dad. We had some good hunting despite the warm, blue-bird sky days. The hunt is only part of the whole experience I guess. Just being outside with good company would be enough, the birds are just a bonus. The other big part of this trip was introducing our 10 1/2 month old black lab Autumn to her first "real" hunting situation. I was a bit nervous about how she'd perform, but she actually exceeded my expectations the entire trip!
Months of getting new gear, HOURS and HOURS of getting it put together, and HOURS, SWEAT and MORE HOURS of designing and toiling over my new hunting trailer all came to a head the end of this September. Five sunrises, one stuck in the mud truck and trailer, little sleep, too many tanks of gas, boxes upon boxes of shotshells, and 1,668 miles crammed inside my Suburban later, it was all worth watching the excitement and anticipation of that first retrieve on the face of my new hunting partner. A great start to a dog's lifetime worth of countless retrieves and hunting trips to come - - - -


No comments:
Post a Comment